Jalan Dato Pangima Bukit gantang Wahab
Ipoh’s first government establishment was a police post set up in 1879. In the 1890s, the Inspector’s quarters and Policeman’s barrack were built, of which a few timber buildings still survive in the Police Square. In 1907 the headquarters of the Perak Police were moved from Taiping to Ipoh.
When the new police station and lock-up was completed for $23,700 in 1911, The Times of Malaya judged that, “the whole building is a credit to the architect and builder, Mr. C.H LaBrooy, and is worthy first public building of any importance for Ipoh. It accommodated the European officers’ offices, police enquiry room, the record room, rooms for policemen on night duty and lock-ups large enough to hold quite big crowds of those who fall into the clutches of the police.”
Across the road, behind the fence, are the temporary barracks which were constructed for 200 policemen in 1948, during the Emergency.